Current Size: 100%
Who We Are & What We Do
We have been providing free one-on-one tutoring in basic reading and writing to adults on the South Shore since 1985. Literacy Volunteers of Massachusetts-Quincy is one of 12 LVM programs in Massachusetts and an accredited affiliate of the national network of Literacy Volunteers/Pro Literacy America.
The program has one full-time coordinator and one part-time assistant, one administrative volunteer, and 60-65 student/tutor pairs. Tutors and students meet once a week for two hours at a mutually convenient time and place.
Eighty percent of our students are native speakers who never learned to read and write proficiently. Others are adults whose primary language is not English. They speak and understand well but never learned to read and write English.
The Secrets of Our Success
- Learner-centered tutoring focuses on the goals, skills and everyday materials that are important to each student, helping to ensure success and keeping motivation strong. Adults may work on job applications, pre-GED material, a Commercial Driver's License, reading to their children, or simply improving basic skills for their jobs.
- Confidential and flexibly scheduled tutoring helps adults overcome fear, embarrassment, childcare or transportation problems which can often impede learning.
- Extensive, high quality training and ongoing support from our professional staff ensures that tutor/student pairs are successful and have a positive experience.
- Committed and dedicated volunteers make our program cost-effective.
We rely on funding from the Massachusetts Department of Education via Literacy Volunteers of Massachusetts, grants, private donations, and an annual fundraiser held each spring.
News Articles About Our Program
- Amelia Kunhardt, "Quincy's literacy volunteers help adults realize their dreams." Wicked Local News in the Patriot Ledger on the Web 10 Dec. 2010
- Evelyn Ratigan, "Quincy library celebrates 25 years of literacy program." Wicked Local News in the Patriot Ledger on the Web 8 Oct. 2010