Current Size: 100%
In 1908, a donation from Albert Crane made possible the erection of an ell, designed by William Aiken.
The ell increased the reading and book rack space and provided a children's room in the basement.
The stained glass windows at the rear of the ell were formerly at the end of the original reading room but were moved to permit more light in the room. Most of the windows represent bookplates. These are not La Farge windows.
The basement of the ell (the current location of the Crane Library Bookstore) initially served as a children’s room. After the Coletti Addition was built in 1939, the space was occupied by technical services, the department responsible for the ordering and cataloging of books and other library materials.
Because there was no elevator in the building, materials were transported from floor to floor via dumbwaiters. The space occupied by these dumbwaiters now houses air conditioning ducts.
In July 2011, a renovation of the Aiken ell basement area was completed, funded by a Community Preservation Act grant. Custom shelving was funded by State Aid to Public Libraries.