Quincy, Mass. Historical and Architectural Survey
1120 Hancock Street
The John Fitzgerald Kennedy Health Center, earlier named the Quincy Health Center, opened in 1951. It was the first health center to be built in New England and the second to be built in the United States under the provisions of the Hill-Burton Act of 1946. Established to prevent rather than cure disease, the health center houses all the varied agencies of the city public health department as well as the Consumer Assistance Office, the Council on Aging and the Veterans Service Department.
Completed at a cost of $525,000, the health center was designed by the Boston architectural firm of M. A. Dyer Co. and built by local contractor James S. Kelliher. One-third of the cost of construction was assumed by the Federal Government and two-thirds by the City of Quincy. The John Fitzgerald Kennedy Health Center is included in the Quincy Center Local Historic District.
BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES
William Churchill Edwards. Historic Quincy, Massachusetts. 1957. p. 210-211.
Quincy Patriot Ledger. 1951. Article was in scrapbook belonging to Robert N. Mood, City of Quincy Fire Historian.
The rhythmical repetition of vertical wall sections rising from the high basement meeting the smooth and plain cornice line give the John Fitzgerald Kennedy Health Center a simple dignity. The symmetrical facade composed of vertical solids and recessed windows has its redundant pattern broken only by the large entrance surround. It is a quiet modern building with only glass and metal panels between the windows relieving its austere design in limestone The quietly proportioned modern institutional building is part of the Quincy Center Local Historic District; it is sited amidst historic 19th century structures creating an interesting mix of architectural styles.