Quincy, Mass. Historical and Architectural Survey
1 Winslow Road
Squantum, Quincy's northern peninsula, is bounded by East Squantum Street (west), Dorchester Bay (north), and Quincy Bay (south, east). Like its North Quincy neighbors, Atlantic and Montclair, it was once part of Dorchester. These three neighborhoods, along with the Old North Precinct, which had split off from Braintree, became part of the Town of Quincy in 1792. At least two notable historic events took place at Squantum. In 1621 Myles Standish and the Indian Squanto, from which Squantum takes it name, made their first landfall in Squantum and in 1812 the lively Pilgrim's Feast, commemorating the landing of the Pilgrim Fathers at Plymouth, took place. Also like North Quincy, the land surface of Squantum was primarily taken up with large farms. It was farms like the large Edmund Pope, Captain James Hutchins farm and Titus spreads that were subdivided by such developers as C. E. Carlson and John R. Wilson. As late as 1907, Squantum was less than one third developed with the major growth occurring between 1907 and 1923. Although Squantum had been an destination summer resort since the mid 19th century, it was not until after World War I that it truly became a year around community.
The unusual fieldstone house at 1 Winslow Road was probably built for Henry T. Emmons, a Boston hatter. By 1923 the property had been sold to Arthur Magee, no occupation listed. The Magees remained in residence until after 1935. The house is built on land which belonged to "Mrs. Pratt", widow of large landowner John R. Pratt of New York in 1888 and to "S. B. Hinckley" in 1907. This property is confusing to locate and may have also used an East Squantum Street address
BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES
William Churchill Edwards. Historic Quincy, Massachusetts, 1957, p. 23, 61-62.
H. Hobart Holly, ed. Quincy: 350 Years, 1974, p. 50.
Paul Robert Lyons. Quincy: A Pictorial History, 1983, p. 16, 23.
John Ramsdell, "Historic North Quincy [Written about 1934]." Quincy Historical Society.
The most unusual element of this residence, at 1 Winslow Road built in the 1910s is its walling material: fieldstone. The most prominent component is the high fieldstone exterior chimney whose verticality balances the house's horizontaltity. The three bay facade has a full length enclosed porch. The hip roof is pierced by one shed dormer. It has the compactness of an American Four Square house and the textural interest of a Craftsman house with the use of varied stone materials. The corners of the house and of the chimney and the window enframements are all trimmed with brick, an attractive combination. It is an interesting and picturesque component at the intersection of Window Road, and East Squantum Street.