Quincy, Mass. Historical and Architectural Survey
403-405,407-409, 411-413, 415-417, 419-421, 423-425, 427-429 Furnace Brook Parkway
The Wollaston/East neighborhood of Quincy is bounded by Quincy Shore Drive (east), Furnace Brook Parkway (south), the MBTA tracks (west) and Hayward Street-Hancock Street-Albion Road Vassall Street (north). An outstanding feature of this area is the Josiah Quincy House (1770), mansion house of the Quincy estate which derived from the original 1635 several thousand acre grant to Edmund Quincy of some of the best farmland in New England. Other important features in this area are the 83-acre Merrymount Park (1885); historic Blacks Creek, the site of Edmund Quincy's tidal grist mill; and the National Sailors Home Cemetery, the only evidence of the 80-acre National Sailors Home (1865, now demolished) of which 50 acres have become Conservation Corumission land. The development process of Wollaston East was greatly accelerated by the Old Colony Railroad which began operations in 1845 as well as by the advent of Quincy's extensive street railway system.
In 1907, almost all of the land on the north side of the block of the present Furnace Brook Parkway between Hancock Street and the MBTA tracks belonged to W. Freeman Grant, a contractor and that stretch of street was called "Grant Street". The building permits are a bit unclear but it appears that Grant erected at least two of the three deckers (Number #31-33 and #35-37) at a cost of $4000 each in 1908. All the multiple residences had the convenience of being practically next door to the Quincy Carbarns yet having an outstanding view of the Furnace Brook.
BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES
Building Permit. 1929. garage.
H. Hobart Holly. ed. Quincy: 350 Years. 1974.
Robert A. McCaughey. Josiah Quincy, 1772-1864:The Last Federalist. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. 1974.
William S. Pattee. A History of Old Braintree and Quincy. 1878. p. 310.
Quincy's developers responding to the need of urban residential housing built numerous double houses, residentially scaled apartment buildings and three deckers. This long row of three-deckers built between 1900 and 1910 in a simple Colonial Revival Style make an impressive statement on Furnace Brook Parkway. Individually, many of these residences have lost their integrity due to alterations and changes, but collectively, the rhythmical repetition of free standing three-story vertical forms under a hip roof, the presences of some multistoried porches create a pleasant streetscape and a reminder of early 20th century urban housing in Quincy.