Quincy, Mass. Historical and Architectural Survey
15 Gilmore Street
The Wollaston/East neighborhood of Quincy is bounded by Quincy Shore Drive (east), Furnace Brook Parkway (south), the MBTA tracks (west) and Hayward Street-Hancock Street-Albion Road Vassall Street (north). An outstanding feature of this area is the Josiah Quincy House (1770), mansion house of the Quincy estate which derived from the original 1635 several thousand acre grant to Edmund Quincy of some of the best farmland in New England. A sizeable portion of the estate was not subdivided for the development of late 19th and 20th century housing until the last Quincy sister died in 1893. Other important features in this area are the 83 acre Merrymount Park (1885: historic Blacks Creek, the site of Edmund Quincy's tidal grist mill; and the National Sailors Home Cemetery, the only evidence of the 80-acre Natiotlal Sailors Home (1865, now demolished) of which 50 acres have become Conservation Commission land. The development process Wollaston East was greatly accelerated by the Old Colony Railroad which began operations in 1845 as well as by the advent of Quincy's extensive street railway system.
Number 15 Gilmore Street was built on land included in the original 1635 grant to Edmund Quincy. It was erected in 1908 by owner/builder Albert Nelson, a well-known Quincy contractor. Nelson, who developed the entire Gilmore Street block, sold the house the next year to Thomas I. Gammon, the division superintendent of the Quincy Center Street Railway Company. The Gammons lived in the house until after 1923.
BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES
Building Permits, alterations.
H. Hobart Holly. ed. Quincy: 350 Years, 1974.
Robert A. McCaughey. Josiah Quincy, 1772-1864: The Last Federalist.Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1974.
William S. Pattee. A History of Old Braintree and Quincy, 1878, p. 310.
The "Prairie Bungalow" Style, a Cambridge Historical Commission label describes residences built in the early 20th century which espouses elements from both the California based Bungalow Style and the Middle West based Prairie Style. Architects of both styles sought to escape from the historicism of the past and the emphasis on classicism; they were interested in building simpler and more functional houses which also reflected the climatic conditions of their respective areas. The California Bungalow is characterized by a low pitched gable roof with a shed dormer and covered veranda while the Prairie type house has a predominantly horizontal appearance which relates to the rolling prairies. Materials used include stucco, contrasted with dark wood trim, cobblestones for foundations and chimneys and wood left in its natural state.
This fine bungalow has a gable filled with stucco and strap work, reminiscent of the "revealed construction" motifs of the Craftsman Style. The porch is created by the extension of the gable in true bungaloid style and has thick square posts atop granite piers. The house is set on a typical Quincy granite foundation, is walled with wood shingles and has a simple compact massing. The facade is symmetrical, composed of a door with a long oval pane, typical of the early 1900s and two large windows with transoms filled with leaded tracery. The house presents to the street a picturesque element with its varied materials, brackets under the eaves and decorative gable. It is a fine example of a bungalow style residence in Quincy.