Quincy, Mass. Historical and Architectural Survey
23 East Elm Avenue (Gardner Hall, Eastern Nazarene College)
Gardner Hall houses the administrative and faculty offices as well as Nease Library for the 900-studeut Eastern Nazarene College, Quincy's only institute of higher learning granting the bachelor's degree. The College is one of eight fully accredited liberal arts college in the United States sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene. An evangelical Protestant denomination with its roots in eighteenth century Methodism, the Church of the Nazarene emerged at the turn of the twentieth century from numerous independent Wesleyan groups who focused on John Wesley's doctrine of the Spirit-filled life.
Eastern Nazarene College was founded as the Pentecostal Collegiate Institute at Saratoga Springs, New York in 1900 and moved to North Scituate, Rhode Island in 1902. The name was changed to Eastern Nazarene College in 1918 and the institution moved to Quincy in 1919, taking over the campus, buildings, and equipment of the Quincy Mansion School for girls, which was originally part of the Josiah Quincy (1802-1882) estate. (The mansion referred to is the Josiah Quincy Mansion, (1849-1850) now demolished). The oldest building on the campus is Canterbury Hall, a shingle style wooden building, now heavily sided with vinyl, built by the Quincy School for Girls as a Fine Arts building.
Wesley Angell, the architect for both Gardner Hall (1930) and its major addition, Nease Library (1953), is the son of Ernest E. Angell, the longtime head of the College's Department of Religion and for whom Angell Hall (built on the site of the Josiah Quincy Mansion) is named.
BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES
Dr. James R. Cameron, Professor of History, Eastern Nazarene College.
Eastern Nazarene College. 1985-86 Bulletin, p. 9, 143.
William Churchill Edwards, Historic Quincy, Massachusetts, 1957, p. 187-192,349.
H. Hobart Holly, ed., Quincy 350 Years, 1974, p. 46.
Paul Robert Lyons, Quincy: A Pictorial History, 1983, p. 148-149.
The majority of the public schools built in Quincy in the first quarter of the 20th century were designed in the Classical or Colonial Revival mode. Gardner Hall continues in this traditional vein. This 1930 brick school structure is three stories high, is set on a high granite basement, and is capped by a plain parapet which is balustraded in the center section. The corners are articulated with brick quoins. The fenestration is symmetric, double sash windows are set at regular intervals, trimmed in white, and topped with flared brick lintels and a white keystone; these are all traditional Colonial Revival details. The focus of interest lies in the two story balustraded Doric portico, made up of fluted cast stone columns, which gives this modest school building a look of classic distinction. This portico is the backdrop for the college's graduation ceremonies. The main entrance at the end of wide stairs, is pilastered, topped with a plain bracketed entablature which frames an arched glass opening. The side elevations have projecting stair towers indicating the site of a central hall running the length of the building. When originally built, the building was a simple rectangle. After the 1953 addition of the Nease Library in the rear, also designed by Wesley Angell, architect for Gardner Hall, the building acquired a T configuration. Eastern Nazarene College is the only institution in Quincy to be fortunate enough to have a pleasant campus setting.