Quincy, Mass. Historical and Architectural Survey
27 Glendale Road
The Neighborhood Club of Quincy was organized in 1916 and opened in January 1917. It was intended to be a private organization "formed for the purpose of maintaining a club for social, dramatic, athletic and civic activities." The club manual for 1936 listed men's and ladies' bowling and badminton committees as well as joint dramatic, squash and art committees.
In 1918 the club was abruptly converted into a temporary hospital to cope with the Spanish influenza epidemic. Membership grew slowly until the 1940's but during World War II the Neighborhood Club was frequently used by the Bethlehem Steel Company in connection with its shipbuilding activities. The Neighborhood Club has been host to receptions for many business, religious, political and military leaders, both local and national.
The architect for the $17,000 Neighborhood Club building was George F. Shepard (Shepard & Stearns 1921-1951). This was one of his first Quincy buildings as he went on to design the 1925 addition to the Quincy Electric Light and Power Station on Field Street and the Reay E. Sterling Middle School, 444 Granite Street, in 1927. The popular contractor, Edward H. Sears, was the builder of Neighborhood Club having earlier constructed the Union Congregational Church, 136 Rawson Road (1911). In quick succession Sears went on to build the Fire Alarm Building, 24 Quincy Avenue (1917), the Squantum School, 50 Huckins Avenue (1919) and the Thomas Crane Public Library in West Quincy, 1240 Furnace Brook Parkway (1921).
BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES
Assessors Records. Building Permit. Robert Lyons. Quincy: A Pictorial History. 1983. p. 111.
"Neighborhood Club of Quincy". Bylaws and List of Members, 1936-1937.
The Neighborhood Club, built in 1917, in a Colonial Revival style, has grown incrementally as its membership and activities increased. Much of the original architectural detail has been lost in the process of siding the structure with aluminum. All that remains is the Palladian window with Gothic tracery in the window's arched top. The original section is set on a granite foundation. It was listed in the previous Quincy inventory.