Current Size: 100%
381 Hancock St.
Quincy, MA 02171
The North Quincy Branch has designated handicapped parking spaces in the library parking lot and automatic door openers. The building is accessible to users with mobility impairments and has an accessible bathroom. Some areas of the building are not accessible and require staff assistance.
MOVIE MATINEE: Every Wednesday at 2:15 p.m., see a variety of films selected with older adults in mind. Films include travel, humor, and biography as well as full-length feature films. To find out what this week's movie is, call 617-376-1320.
The increase in Quincy's population during the late 1940s and the 1950s spurred a need for expanded library services and led to the building of the North Quincy Branch. Among initial suggestions put forth for the site were a parcel in front of North Quincy High School, at the corner of East Squantum and Hancock Streets, and for property owned by Joseph Grossman near Sagamore Street. In late 1961, Mayor Amelio Della Chiesa recommended the use of two lots opposite the Sacred Heart Church.
The land was taken by eminent domain in early 1962, and the contemporary design for the structure was created by Quincy architects Hanlon and Donahue. The L.C. Blake Construction Company won the building contract for $219,224. Just before the dedication, the Chairman of the Library Board of Trustees noted that the $300,000 cost of the new branch was the first instance "that the City of Quincy had spent a penny for a library building."
Mayor Della Chiesa presided over the formal dedication of the branch on September 9, 1963. Also present were City Council President Charles Shea, Councillors John J. Quinn and George Burke, and branch librarian Louise Dinegan.