In October 2001, the Thomas Crane Public Library completed a three-year expansion, renovation, and restoration project. The project was carried out in two phases: the first, the renovation of the 1939 Coletti addition and the construction of a 55,000 square foot new addition; the second, the restoration of the 1882 National Historic Landmark H. H. Richardson building and its 1908 Aiken wing.
Architect Richard Bertman and his team from CBT/Childs Bertman Tseckares Inc.  of Boston designed the new addition, constructed of granite, brick, and brownstone, with the distinctive red slate roof. This addition incorporates aluminum arches, balconies, and windows in a contemporary interpretation of Richardson's Romanesque style. Organized around a three-story atrium, the addition more than doubles the library space.
Working from old photographs, CBT directed the restoration of the Richardson building, repainting the walls, recreating period light fixtures, and restoring the yellow pine woodwork and wide-planked floors. The remaining tables and chairs designed by Richardson were restored and put back into use for the public to enjoy.
The project was funded by the City of Quincy, with grants from the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners, the Massachusetts Historical Commission, and nearly $1 million in private donations.
In January 2002, the library was awarded the Mass Architectural Access Board's 2001 Honor Award for Accessible Design in Public Architecture. In May 2002, the library received a Massachusetts Historical Commission 2002 Historic Preservation Award.
For more information and photographs of the CBT renovation and restoration project, read the library's October 14, 2001, Dedication Booklet .