Current Size: 100%
Find It: Consumer Information
|Search buying guides and articles from hundreds of magazines & publications.||When searching from home, you will need to enter your library barcode number, found on the back of your library card in order to see your search results.|
Books and Magazines
- Boston Consumer's Checkbook* (issues from 2013-present)
- Consumer Reports
- Consumer Reports Buying Guides* (issues from 2012-present)
- Consumer Reports Health Letter*
- Consumer Reports Shopsmart (issues from 2010-2015)
- NADA Official Used Car Guide* (issues from 2012-present)
- NADA Official Older Used Car Guide* (issues from 2015-present)
Resources marked with an asterisk (*) are non-circulating and can be found on the top floor of the Main Library. Circulating issues of all other resources can be found in the Richardson building.
- Better Business Bureau
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Consumer Safety Alerts, Recalls, Guides, and News
- Bureau of Consumer Protection
- Reputation Management
Information on how businesses, job seekers and others can better manage their online reputation.
- Consumer Reports
Ratings and reviews, recommendations and buying advice for thousands of products and services.
- Consumer Search
Reviews of products organized by category such as Electronics, House & Home, Family or Office.
A "one stop shop" for U.S. Government recalls.
- Car Talk's "Actual Car Information"
Using down-home humor, this site gives you Actual Car Information on buying, selling, and owning a car.
- Edmunds Automobile Buyer's Guide
Used car prices back to 1990, safety information, and updates on new vehicles.
- Kelley Blue Book
Timely and accurate prices on new and used cars.
- National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) Guides
Vehicle pricing for new, used, and classic automobiles in addition to motorcycles, recreational vehicles, and more.
- Charity Navigator
Provides an unbiased, objective, numbers-based rating system to assess the financial health of over 5,000 of America's best-known charities.
- Annual Credit Report
The ONLY authorized source for the free annual credit report that's yours by law.
- Bank Rate Monitor
Rates for mortgages, auto loans, home equity loans, savings, credit cards, and checking accounts.
- FRB: Consumers Guide to Credit Cards
Provides a basic guide to navigating the credit card process. Maintained by the Federal Reserve Board.
Helps you find out which household or consumer product is right for you and your family.
A source for reviews and commentary on technology. From cell phones to television, this site appears to cover just about everything electronic.
- EERE Energy Savers
Learn ways to save money and use clean, renewable technologies at home, while driving, and at work. From the U.S. Department of Energy.
FurnaceCompare.com provides information to consumers and HVAC professionals about air conditioners, boilers, heat pumps, furnaces, radiant heat systems, and wood furnaces.
- Household Products Database
Learn more about what's in products, about potential health effects, and about safety and handling on this site from the National Institutes of Health.
- Massachusetts Energy Tax Credit Information
Information on energy-related tax incentive programs from the state of Massachusetts and the federal government.