Quincy is situated south of Boston and distant from the State-house
about eight miles. The distance from Quincy Point Bridge to
Boston Light is seven and one third miles; from Quincy Point
Bridge to T Wharf is nine and one half miles.
As will be seen by the descriptions given later, we have deep
water the entire length of Weymouth Fore River and also on Town
River up to the Baker Basin. On the Neponset River we have practically
eight feet of water at low tide. The Squantum shore and two
or more miles of front at Wollaston Beach have been reserved
for park purposes. The shore line from Blacks Creek and along
“Merrymount”, Adams Shore, Post Island and Houghs
Neck around to Rock Island Cove is occupied by residences, quite
a few of which are used as winter homes. Along these shores
the tide ebbs and flows over a large expanse of flats, and in
all probability will not be developed for business purposes
for many years to come; but its proximity to Boston Light and
the open sea give us an interesting study.
As it is impossible for me to further describe the shores of
the Neponset River and Quincy Bay at this time together with
the Weymouth Fore River section, and as the balance of the business
in the past has been along the southerly shore, I will endeavor
to give you a general idea of the extent of the business transacted
along this section, and I leave the northerly section until
some further date.
this time it may be of interest to present to you a brief sketch
of the methods offered by the General Court for the development
of the water fronts and lands in the Commonwealth.
The Board of Harbor and Land Commissioners created under Chapt.
263 of the Acts of 1879, provided in itself a consolidation
of the departments of service, which had under the titles of
Board of Harbor Commissioners, Board of Land Commissioners and
other agencies exercised the powers and duties with which they
were charged with respect to the lands, rights in lands, flats,
shores, and rights in tidewaters belonging to the Commonwealth
up to that time.
The discharge of the duties of these boards were largely confined
to dredging operations in Boston Harbor, reclamation, improvement,
and development of South Boston flats and the Back Bay lands
in Boston, and other important transactions, by Legislative
enactments in various parts of the Commonwealth.
In response to a conviction held by many of the various parts
of the Commonwealth, interests of Boston and vicinity, that
the time had come for a more intensive development of the Port
facilities in and about Boston Harbor, the General Court under
Chapt. 748 of the Acts of 1911, created a Commission, which
was known as “Directors of the Port of Boston”,
and was composed of 5 persons; three of which were appointed
by the Governor, one by the Mayor of Boston together with the
chairman of the Harbor and Land Commissioners ex-officio.
These Directors to be the administrative officers of the Port,
and cause to be made all necessary plans for the comprehensive
development of the harbor; to administer all terminal facilities,
and to keep themselves thoroughly informed as to the present
and probable future requirements of steamships and shipping,
railroad warehouses and industrial establishments.
With the consent of the Governor and Council, the Directors
were empowered to take or acquire by purchase or otherwise,
and hold such real property and such rights and casements therein
as the Directors may from time to time consider necessary.
The Directors were also empowered to erect piers, wharves, warehouses
and other similar structures, and to lease the same under certain
conditions. The income of these properties to be collected by
the Directors, and paid into the treasury of the Commonwealth.
Upon application to the Directors, any railroad company to be
provided by the Directors with a track connect serving such
piers and wharves.
To meet expenses that might be incurred under the provisions
of this Act, the Treasurer and Receiver General was authorized,
with the approval of the Governor and Council, to issue bonds,
script, or certificates of indebtedness to an amount not exceeding
nine million dollars, for a term not exceeding forty years.
On Aug.1, 1916, practically the whole of this amount had either
been expended or apportioned for expenditure, in and around
the immediate vicinity of the inner harbor of Boston.
Chapt. 288 of the General Acts of 1916 provided for the reorganization
of the Board of Harbor and Land Commissioners and the Directors
of the Port of Boston, into a single Board to be known as the
Commission of Water-ways and Public Lands; to be composed of
three persons appointed by the Governor with the advice and
consent of the Council.
Act was approved June 1, 1916, and the Commission took over
the work of the department August 3, of the same year. During
the four years in which this Commission has been in control
of these matters, there has been a vast improvement in the condition
existing along the waterfront of Quincy, which I will endeavor
to give in detail as we proceed.
30 To give us a clear understanding of the relative
positions of the different localities to be described I will
ask you to accompany me to the summit of Quincy Great Hill,
which is situated at the extreme end of the peninsula known
as Houghs Neck. This hill reached an elevation of one hundred
feet above the sea level, and gives us an unobstructed view
for the entire waterfront of Quincy except the portion which
borders on the Neponset River. It is my purpose to treat this
subject in two parts, first taking the southerly or Weymouth
Fore River portion.
at the base of the water tank shown in the previous view, and
looking northerly and easterly we see “Paddocks Island”
named in honor of Leonard Paddock, who seems to have been in
the employ of the Council of New England in 1622. The broad
expanse of water between the pier at Nut Island (or Huff’s
Thumb as it is designated on the ancient maps) is called “The
West Gutt”. Paddock’s Island is situated between
the East and the West Gut, they being the outlets of Hingham
Bay and the Weymouth Fore River; and contains about 158 acres,
the whole of which is included within the Town of Hull. This
island was for many years occupied by the Cleverly family, who
were noted pilots in these waters for nearly one hundred years;
their houses were situated at the northerly end adjoining the
East Gut. The balance of the island was used by our ancestors
for pasturage. The beach at the northwesterly end has been occupied
the past few years by a colony of Portuguese fishermen. In 1898
the Federal Government acquired a large tract of land at the
northerly end of the island, and constructed there an elaborate
mortar battery, which is included in the fortifications of Boston
31 The easterly end of Paddocks; showing the “Horse
Shoe Cove” and Princes Head, over which and beyond is
Hotel Pemberton, situated on Windmill Point at Hull. Hotel Pemberton
was demolished March, 1932. [ ] is across the channel from Boston
Light, situated at the entrance to Boston harbor from the open
sea. The outlet of Hingham Bay at this point is called Hull
Gut, and is noted for its powerful current. On the elevation
at the right of Pemberton is situated the Town of Hull.
28 An easterly view from Great Hill, showing the
broad expanse of Hingham Bay. Before us is a portion of the
fleet of the Quincy Yacht Club, and beyond at the horizon is
Nantasket Beach and Bunkin Island; on which island is situated
the hospital erected here in 1902, as a home for crippled children.
Fig.190 A southerly view from Great Hill, copied from a photo
taken about forty years ago, in which is shown the village of
Houghs Neck, and beyond which is the Weymouth Fore River, Raccoon
Island, Weymouth Great Hill, and the North Weymouth shore. Having
seen the mouth or outlet of Weymouth Fore River, we will now
journey along the shore and see what is doing and what has been
done in the past along these shores.
3 Under the south slope of Great Hill is situated
the Quincy Yacht Club house; this view being taken from the
water side. In the year 1912 the original house was moved toward
the water, and the large piazzas on either side and also an
addition on the shore side was constructed, thereby creating
a large number of lockers, together with a dining room and other
conveniences which the club now enjoy; they having a large membership
and are in a flourishing condition. This club was organized
in 1874, with Mr. James H. Slade as the first Commodore, he
serving for three years.
4 This photo was taken from the shore side and gives
us a better idea of the extensive additions and alterations
above referred to. The portion at the extreme right showing
the pitched roof is the original building. On the side of Great
Hill just beyond the club house was situated in the 70’s,
the then famous shore resort called “The Dew Drop Inn”,
where one could obtain a good clam chowder together with the
liquid refreshments common for those days, but at the present
7 The first ten Commodores of the Quincy Yacht Club.
154 The Quincy Yacht Club house as originally built
in 1888, and dedicated August 20th of that year.
The racing of boats along this shore has been in vogue for many
years; I find an old record of a regatta that was sailed off
Houghs Neck September 2nd 1856, in which twelve boats
entered. The distance sailed was nine miles, and the yacht named
John Quincy Adams secured the first prize by sailing over the
course in one hour and thirteen minutes; beating the Wave seven
161 [________ _________ _______] lockers added at
165 Nortemans Pavilion, Houghs Neck.
163 The Great Hill house opened in 1858 by Mr. James
Mears, and for over forty years was noted for the excellent
shore dinners served and the good cheer which emanated from
under its hospitable roof.
8 The Public Landing constructed in 1911, by the
City, and is situated nearly at the easterly end of Bay View
Ave. As far as I have been able to learn this is the only Public
Landing owned by our City of 50,000 inhabitants; not withstanding
the fact that we have twenty five miles of water front. Is not
this a strange position in which we find ourselves.
287 In 1879 the Massachusetts Humane Society located
a station which was maintained for about thirty years on the
site now occupied by the store of Mr. Arthur H. Dunham. The
station here shown is located at Scituate Harbor and is of the
same type as the one above referred to.
1 Steamboat pier. Houghs Neck
6 Houghs Neck Light-ship
288 Views from Rock Island Head and across Rock
Island Cove to Gull Point in Germantown. At the head of this
cove is situated a deposit of trap rock which in 1905 was purchased
by the Tide Water Broken Stone Co. A plant was established here
for the quarrying and crushing of the valuable material, of
which thousands of tons are used annually in the construction
of our roadways. This company continued here for seven years;
but owing to the depth of water in the Cove it was deemed expedient
to abandon the plant. A number of schemes for the development
of this Cove have been devised, but as yet nothing has been
accomplished. In one of the plans, it was proposed to dredge
a channel a distance of three quarters of a mile from the Weymouth
Fore River to the head of the Cove, and to fill the balance
of the area now covered by water at high tide; by this development
the City would be enriched for wharves and manufacturing purposes.
It was also suggested to construct a bulkhead across the entrance
of this Cove, from Rock Island Head to Gull Point, a distance
of one half mile, and to fill the entire area of the Cove, which
contains nearly one hundred and fifty acres. The material could
be obtained from the flats in Weymouth Fore River, thereby securing
a wider and deeper channel in the river, which would be a decided
advantage to the shipping which undoubtedly will, in the near
future, occupy these waters.
16 These views form a panorama of the northerly
shore of Weymouth Fore River from Quincy Great Hill to the Quincy
Point Bridge. At the right is Great Hill with the water tank
at the top; and along the shore are the villages of Houghs Neck
and Germantown; a little to left of the center are seen the
chimneys on the power-house of the Bay State Street Railway
Co, and the coal wharves at Quincy Point. At the extreme left
is the Fore River Shipbuilding plant of the Bethlehem Corpn.,
and also the Quincy Point Bridge. Along this entire front of
two and seven eighths miles we have a channel 300 ft in width
with twenty four feet of water at low tide. The entrance to
Town River is situated at the right near the chimneys of the
Power house above mentioned …evidence to show that it
has ever been utilized for business purposes. The land at Houghs
Neck and Germantown were devoted to farming for over two hundred
11 Raccoon Island, lying close to the Quincy shore
and containing about three acres, is of rock formation with
very little vegetation. The house shown was erected in 1881
by Mr. Warren A. Howard of Randolph, the owner of the island
at that time. The width of the river between these shores and
the Weymouth shore is about 1/5 of a mile.
17 The old fish house on Germantown Point; there
previously having been two of them. These houses were probably
erected about 1833 by Mr. Charles Brown and Mr. Elisha Holmes,
natives of Provincetown, who settled here in Germantown in the
year mentioned, and established a fish curing business on this
point which was continued for many years. The building was demolished
in 1915, and the dwelling of Mr. Henry Edwards erected on nearly
the same site.
124 The Weymouth shore from Germantown; at the left
is seen the summer houses at Fort Point and Weymouth Great Hill
the summit of which is laid out as a Public Park from which
an extensive view of the river and the surrounding country may
be obtained. On the shore at the foot of Great Hill a long pier
was constructed in 1870, and used as a landing place by the
steamer “Massasoit” which plied between Quincy Point
and Boston. Adjoining Great Hill on the right of the photo is
Wessagussett on which elevation are situated a large number
of summer cottages, and on the shore is situated the club house
of the Wessagussett Yacht Club. In the fall of 1915 Mr. J. P.
O’Riorden secured the contract to dredge a channel six
feet deep to their club house from the channel of Weymouth Fore
River. The work was completed Oct.12 at a cost of $815.20.
125 Adjoining Wessagussett is Rose Hill and the
Bay View House, which hotel was erected in 1875 by Mr. James
Edwards of Quincy, and is now occupied as a summer hotel. It
is said that Rose Hill was named in honor of Rose Standish the
wife of Captain Myles Standish of Plymouth, and rescued from
the Indians, the settlers of Westons Colony who located in this
vicinity in 1622. Adjoining Rose Hill is Hunts Hill, on which
was situated in 1870, the shipyard of Mr. Porter Keene, who
built a number of vessels here, and the yard was afterward operated
by Messrs. Clark and Prior, who removed here from South Boston,
and conducted a yacht building establishment a few years. The
plant was destroyed by fire a number of years ago since which
time it has remained vacant. In 1915 the North Weymouth Yacht
Club was organized and erected a club house on the shore at
the Point off Hunts Hill.
23 The clipper ship “Red Cloud” built
on the land known at various times as Bents Point, Shipyard
Point, and now called Powerhouse Point, situated on the Weymouth
Fore river at the entrance to Town River. In 1854 Mr. George
Thomas of Rockland, Maine, purchased this property and established
a shipyard here, where he continued to build vessels until 1877.
The King Philip was the first vessel launched in this yard on
Nov. 11, 1854. Mr. Thomas built in all, about twenty five vessels
during his occupancy of this yard.
This building was erected in 1886 on the shipyard property and
was intended for use in the manufacture of boilers but was never
occupied for this business. A few years later this land and
building were purchased by the Quincy and Boston Street Rly
Co., and machinery installed in the building and it was occupied
as a power house until the present brick building was erected.
Sub station of a yacht club.
Photo taken in 1902 during the construction of the present building.
The cost of which, with the equipment, was approximately $2,000,000.
19 The present Powerhouse in 1919.
33 The store in 1908 situated on the easterly corner
of Washington and Wharf streets, occupied by Mr. Charles Hall.
This building was erected about the year 1835 by Mr.William
Lincoln, who conducted a ship and family store here a few years,
and was succeeded in 1839 by Mr. Benjamin Hinckley and Mr. George
Newcomb, and later by Mr. Isaiah Whiton, Mr. Owen Adams, and
Mr. D. H. Bills. The property was purchased by Mr. Hall in [
] since which time he has conducted a general store here.
22 Coal wharf owned and occupied by Messrs. J. F.
Sheppard and Sons. This wharf was formerly known as “Granite
Wharf” from which during the early years of the last century,
large quantities of granite were loaded and freighted to various
points along the coast of New England and to the New York market.
About 1850, a coal business was established here by Mr.Isaiah
Whiton and Mr. Owen Adams, and later occupied by Mr. Ebenezer
Adams who conducted a lumber business, together with coal and
wood. In 1882, this wharf and business were purchased by Mr.
J. F. Sheppard who conducted the coal and wood business until
his death; and is now continued by his sons.
48 The Quincy Point bridge constructed in 1812 by
the Hingham and Quincy Turnpike Corpn. This bridge was operated
as a toll bridge from 1812 to 1862, when the bridges on the
line of the Hingham and Quincy Turnpike by an Act of the Legislature
became free to be travelled by all men without fee or toll.
Following is a schedule of the tolls charged by the Corporation,
3cents per ton transit duty on all loaded vessels of more than
fifteen tons passing through the draws.
Chariots, Phaetons or Curricles drawn by two horses 20cents
the same drawn by four “ 25cents
only exception from payment of toll was by a vote of the stockholders
by which the Plymouth mail coach was to pass free. In Sept.
17, 1914, a contract was awarded to the Eastern Dredging Co.
for the dredging at the easterly draw-way and approach to the
Quincy Point Bridge, which contract was completed on Jan. 14,
1915 at a cost of $6,193. 40 and was dredged to a depth of eighteen
feet at low water, thereby removing a long stretch of flats
which extended from the shore at Ferry Point out to the channel.
34 The old
toll-house formerly located on the Quincy end of the Quincy
Point Bridge, was demolished in 1902 when the present bridge
was constructed and the street widened at this point.
38 Building located on the easterly side of Washington
Street, near the Quincy Point Bridge; and was probably erected
by Mr. Nathan Josselyn, who purchased this property in 1819
and established here a coal wharf and ship-yard, which he conducted
for about twenty years; when the property was sold in several
lots, and the wharf lot has been occupied in the coal business
by Messrs. Joseph Loud, Nathaniel White, and later by Owen Adams
who in 1875 conveyed the wharf property to Mr. Cyrus Patch who
conducted the coal business here until his death, and which
his son Mr. Frank Patch has continued to the present when the
City Fuel Co. purchased the property, demolished the old sheds,
and erected the present buildings.
107 Germantown shore and the Weymouth Fore River
from the Quincy Point Bridge.
Great Hill and Hunts Hill in North Weymouth from the Point bridge,
the point here shown is the site of the ferry established here
in 1636, and has since been known as “Ferry Point”.
The wharf on Ferry Point was erected in 1871 to provide a landing
for the steamboat.
43 “Massasoit” which from 1871 to 18[
] plied between this pier and Foster’s Wharf in Boston
and conveyed picnic parties to and from “Lovell’s
Grove” situated across the river in North Weymouth.
45 Steamboat “Stanford”.
46 The “Pine Point House” erected in
1871 by Mr. Dunbar of Boston who conducted this house for a
number of years in connection with Lovell’s Grove. These
buildings were destroyed by fire on July 19, 1903.
47 “Lovell’s Grove” purchased
in 1870 by Mr. Dunbar, and fitted up with buildings suitable
for picnic parties, and was used as such for a number of years.
This grove was later known as “New Downer Landing”;
and, about 1909 was discontinued as a picnic ground and the
buildings were converted into dwelling houses. This property
has recently been acquired by the Edison Electric Co. and it
is rumored that a large distribution plant is to be erected
here in the near future. Fig.
42 A water front view in 1890 of the coal wharf
of Messrs. Cyrus Patch and Son, and the beach on the Redding
estate; now occupied by the X Y Z slips of the Fore River Shipbuilding
Co., where most of the submarines built at the plant are assembled.
49 A view in 1918 from the Point Bridge of the ship
crane and slips at the Fore River Yard. The shore beyond is
the location of the Oil Refining Plant on East Braintree Shore.
95 The City Service Oil Plant from Fore River yard.
52 The boat yard of Mr. Thomas Watson, which was
situated at East Braintree near the head of tide water on the
Weymouth Fore River. This being the site originally occupied
by the Fore River Engine Company the parent organization of
the present Fore River Ship-building Co. The plant was removed
to the present location at “Boat Point” Quincy Neck
in the year 1900.
80 A view of the Fore River Plant in 1902. These
buildings having since been replaced by first and second class
buildings of a more durable construction. It may be of interest
to see the following views of the yard, and also the launching
of a few of the first vessels built here.
64 The old pass gate situated on East Howard Street.
65 The old employment office situated
at the left of the pass gate.
63 Bents Creek also showing the old buildings known
as the machine shop power house.
69 One of the first turbine engines constructed
for the “Creole”
76 The “Rhode Island”
77 The “New Jersey”
59 The “Nevada” launched 11 July 1914
71 The “Providence” of the Fall
74 Launch of the “Cuttlefish”
1 Sept. 1906
79 Launch of the “Narwhal” 8 Apr.
60 End view of the launch of the “Narwhal”
58 Launch of the “Stingray” 8 Apr.
missing] Hull of Battleship
147 Launch of submarine [___________]
of the “Lexington”
149 Matson Line “Mariposa”
148 Matson Line “Mariposa” and “Monterey”
lines have been established by the Legislature since 1837, about
fifty Legislative Acts having been passed, locating and relocating
these lines in various parts of Boston Harbor.
Sept. 23, 1915 the Fore River Ship-building Co. petitioned the
Directors for the establishment of harbor lines along the shore
of Weymouth Fore River south of the Quincy Point bridge, and
in the vicinity of their plant. A plan was prepared showing
the location of the harbor lines and provides for an ample channel
with a minimum width of 600 feet extending southerly from the
Quincy Point Bridge. Upon recommendation of the Directors the
Legislature by Chapt. 280 of the General Acts of 1916, established
harbor lines extending on both sides of Weymouth Fore River,
from the bridge southerly to Haywards Creek.
During the summer of 1915 the Eastern Dredging Co. removed a
number of shoals existing in the river adjacent to the plant
of the Fore River Ship-building Co. The work was completed at
a cost of $993.75.
In the fall of 1915 the Shipbuilding Co. was granted a license
to build wharves, sea-walls, causeways, and to dredge and fill
in Weymouth Fore River and Bent’s Creek, and also erect
launch ways, overhead cranes, etc.
These licenses were obtained for the purpose of erecting the
improvements known as the X Y Z slips, and probably included
the construction of the bridge across Bent’s Creek, together
with the wharves etc. on the northerly side of the Creek.
55 The XYZ slips from across the river at Lovell’s
Grove and also including the water front from Quincy Point Bridge
to Boat Point which is situated at the mouth of Hayward’s
Creek. This being the site occupied by the Fore River Plant.
It is said that twenty thousand men were employed here during
the World War. Tradition tells us that vessels were built on
this site as early as 1670.
63 In 1824 Mr. Lucius M. Sargent established a salt
works on Cranes Creek, now known as Bent’s Creek. The
location of the works was on nearly the site of hammer head
crane shown in the photo. The quantity of salt manufactured
here and at the Quincy Farm, in 1837, was 3,135 bushels. Beyond
the Crane above mentioned at the head of the Creek, a wharf
was constructed by Mr. John Ruggles some time previous to the
Revolutionary War, and was known for years as “Ruggles
Wharf”; the Creek was also known as “Ruggles Creek”,
and later as Adams Crane and for the past sixty or seventy years
as “Bent’s Creek”.
51 This locality was called “Ships Cove”
in the early records; and in 1708 the line dividing the north
and south precinct of Braintree was established. Beginning at
the head of “Ships Cove” near the house of John
290 This [the Newcomb]house was demolished in [_____],
a photo of which is here shown and is situated at the foot of
the hill on South Street, in the bend of the road near the junction
of Des Moines Road. The Precinct line above mentioned was also
the Town line between Braintree and Quincy from 1792 until 1856
when Braintree Neck so called was annexed to Quincy and the
line established at Hayward’s Creek.
84 Three views
from Hayward’s Grove, of the new Ships Crane erected in
88 Three views from Winter Street of the yard and
89 The Plate and Angle shop on Howard Ave erected
in 1915-6. This building is seven hundred and fifty feet long
and one hundred feet wide.
90 View in 1919 from East Howard Street of the new
ship crane and four destroyers on the slips, together with a
large freighter all of which are about ready for launching.
91 Hospital and employment office erected in 1916.
102 Hayward’s Creek in 1904. The buildings
shown in the photo have all in the last few years been demolished
and the land is now occupied by shops and storehouses belonging
to the Fore River Co.
81 The Fore River Plant in 1904. This view was taken
from the roof of the office building situated on the northerly
corner of East Howard Street and Howard Ave. This office building
was in 1900 floated down the river from the original yard of
this company which was located near the toll bridge in East
Braintree. This office building was demolished the past winter.
105 View in 1919 of Haywards Creek and the Quincy
shore. This front was as early as 1789 occupied by wharves;
the lower end being used in the granite business as early as
1840. In 1869 Mr. Charles Mitchell purchased the wharf property
of the Newcomb family who were the first owners of record of
this property including the site now occupied by the Fore River
Co. Mr. Mitchell having previously purchased the quarry land
in the South Common, built a railroad a distance of about one
mile from his quarry to the wharves at Haywards Creek, the location
being the same as now occupied by the Fore River railroad.
97 The land here shown within the cross-hatched
section was taken by the Commissioners March 1917 under the
authority of Chapt. 748 of the Acts of 1911. The land and flats
include 97.14 acres, of which 24 acres are in the City of Quincy
and 73 of which are in the town of Braintree.
99 The Dry
Dock situated at the mouth of Haywards Creek, was constructed
in 1919-20, and is 480 feet long and 116 feet in width. The
floor is constructed of ten pontoons, the wings are of steel
plates and are 35 feet in height, thirteen feet wide at the
base and tapered to nine feet at the top. The pontoons [and]
being securely fastened together. Each pontoon is fitted with
two fifteen inch motor driven pumps, which are operated from
the control house situated at the left in the photo. By the
filling of the pontoons and wings with water, this whole structure
is submerged into a well which was dredged to a depth of 36
feet below mean low water mark. A vessel is then towed into
the Dock (the ends of which are open), and the pumps are started,
and at the expiration of twenty five minutes the Dock has been
raised to the level of the tide, leaving the hull of the enclosed
vessel high and dry, resting on the floor of the Dock. The lifting
capacity of the Dock is 12,000 tons, and it is large enough
to accommodate a vessel of 550 feet in length. Under an agreement
between the Commissioners and the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corpn.,
this Dock was constructed and is now operated by the said corpn.
This summer it is proposed to place a ten ton derrick at the
head of this pier; and it is further contemplated to erect at
the right of the Dock, a State Pier to accommodate the shipping,
and to be used as a distributing station, and in conjunction
with the Fore River railroad, for the convenience of southeastern
Massachusetts, and also to relieve the congestion at the wharves
98 View of the plant of the Mass. Oil Refining Co.
and railroad situated on the Braintree shore of Haywards Creek.
Views from East Howard Street of the Dock and the Oil Plant.
104 View across Haywards Creek during the construction
of the branch railroad, which is 1875 feet in length, to the
new Oil Refining Co. works on the Braintree shore of the Creek.
The elevation shown at the left of the photo, is the locality
known as the “Trilobite Ledge”, where numbers of
these petrified forms of shellfish have in the past been unearthed.
103 View of the concrete pipe laid on the easterly
side of Haywards Creek the size of which at Quincy Ave. is three
feet in diameter and increases in size to four feet at the bulkhead,
and is intended to take care of the flow of water from the territory
at the south and west formerly drained by the creek. The area
known as Haywards Creek has been filled in and utilized by the
Fore River Co.
92 View of the cut through “Round Hill”
at Newcomb Square, for the purpose of obtaining a roadbed for
the Fore River Railroad, which was constructed in 1903 from
the yard of the Shipbuilding Co. to the South Shore line of
the NYNH&H RR, at East Braintree.
looked along the shore of Weymouth Fore River from Quincy Great
Hill, to Boat Point, and also to the head of tide water on Hayward’s
Creek, I will now invite you to accompany me up Town River and
the Quincy Canal to the head of tide water at these points.
the provisions of Chapt. 131 of the resolves of 1912, the General
Court authorized and directed the Directors of the Port of Boston
to widen, deepen, and straighten the present channel in Town
River in the city of Quincy from Baker Basin to a point near
Johnson’s lumber wharf. For this purpose the Directors
were allowed to expend a sum not exceeding twenty five thousand
dollars to be paid out of the Commonwealth Flats Improvement
Fund; provided that the Directors are satisfied that the City
of Quincy will build a municipal dock of proper proportions
and capacity and properly located. This twenty five thousand
dollars is still awaiting the action of the City of Quincy,
but owing to the lack of harmony which exists among the promoters
of this project, Town River remains in the same deplorable condition
that existed at the passage of the above appropriation.
View in 1919 from the Street Rly Power-house looking up the
Town River. On the left are the houses lately erected by the
United States Housing Corporation located on the “Baker
Basin Tract” so called. At the extreme left is the location
of the shipyard formerly occupied by Mr. Peleg F. Jones, who
purchased this property in 1834 and established the shipbuilding
business which he continued here until his death.
110 The Baker Basin Tract and also the Baker Basin
and boat yard. In front of the houses on the water-front can
be seen two wharves which were known as Bramhall’s wharves,
and were constructed about the year 1800 for the accommodation
of the fishing vessels which landed here. The site of the houses
being the location of the large flake yards established here
for the curing of the fish. This yard and industry were conducted
by Mr. Benjamin Bramhall, Major Vinal, and Mr. Joseph Nickerson
until about 1837 when the property was disposed of.
112 View across Town River showing Mosquito Woods
and Cat Island. At the left of the photo beyond the boats anchored
in the river is the boatyard of Mr. Charles C. Hanley where
some of the fastest yachts in the country have been built.
291 Phillips Head and the Sailors Snug Harbor at
Germantown. In the cove at the right of Phillips Head was located
in 1755, the glass-works; operated under the supervision of
Mr. Joseph Palmer Fig.
117, and Mr. Richard Cranch. After a few years,
the project was abandoned most of the German people removed
to Maine and Pennsylvania. In this cove was also built in 1878
the ship “Massachusetts”; her dimensions being –
keel 116 feet, beam 36 ft. 10 in. She was built for the Canton
trade and carried 36 guns.
1789 Mr. Peter Bicknell purchased one hundred acres of land
and the dwelling formerly occupied by General Palmer. This purchase
included practically the entire area of Germantown, except twenty
six acres at the northerly end, which was owned by the town
and known as “the school land” this parcel of twenty
six acres was also purchased of the Town of Braintree by Mr.
Bicknell in 1815 , it having in 1793 been set off in the division
of the School-land between the towns of Braintree and Quincy
in which division the Town of Quincy assigned twenty six acres
of land at what is now known as Bethel Beach. The house occupied
by General Palmer was situated at the extreme right of the photo
and after the purchase of the property by the Sailors Snug Harbor
Corpn., was occupied a few years as the home until the present
building was erected. The old house was later moved to the site
now occupied by the dormitory shown in the photo, and was demolished
in [ ] when the dormitory building was erected. About 1830 Mr.
John Sullivan purchased this property, and his daughters conducted
a family school here until the Sailors Snug Harbor was established.
The buildings here shown are those occupied by the Sailors Snug
Harbor, which is a corporation established here in 1851, to
harbor retired sailors from the merchant service who have become
disabled or aged. During the greater part of the year these
sailors maintain a ferry across the river to and from Germantown
and the Powerhouse Point.
121 The Ferry-house and ferrymen in 1908, connected
with the Sailors Snug Harbor at Germantown.
130 A close up view of the Cove at Germantown.
119 An old engraving of the Sailors Snug Harbor
buildings at Germantown, dedicated July 14, 1856. Dr. William
P. Lunt composed and delivered a poem on this occasion. This
poem was dedicated to Mr. Robert B. Forbes of Milton who had
done so much disinterested work for the comfort and welfare
of the sailors.
292 Germantown shore and Point, at the mouth of
Town River. The last three views give us an idea of the possibilities
of development of this shore; there being at this point in the
river from twelve to forty feet of water at low tide.
122 A copy of one of the certificates of stock in
the Quincy Point and Germantown Ferry Co. In 1855 several of
the residents of Germantown and of Quincy Point received from
the Gen Court an Act of Incorporation as the Quincy Point and
Germantown Ferry Co. with a capital of twenty five thousand
dollars, to run a ferry between Quincy Point and Germantown.
This ferry was established and operated a few years, but not
proving a financial success, was abandoned.
120 Previous to 1752, the neck of land now called
Germantown was known as Shed’s Neck”; and was probably
named in honor of Daniel Shed who was the earliest known resident
on this neck. Mr. Shed was here from 1647 to 1658, and shortly
after removed to Billerica, where he made his permanent residence.
In 1916 the Shed Family Association erected this memorial which
is located ajdacent to the road on the Sailors Snug Harbor property
113 View down Town River from Baker Basin; showing
in the foreground the two fish wharves above mentioned; also
the power house of the Bay State St. Rly. Co. and beyond at
the left is the Germantown shore.
115 The Baker Basin in 1907. This corporation located
here in 1905, and have been successful in the construction of
small vessels and yachts. They also make a speciality of storing,
during the winter months, large and small yachts; and some large
steamers have been wintered here.
128 Baker Basin in 1919 showing the vessels stored
here during the winter of 1918-9 including some of the camouflaged
freighters and passenger boats. The tall structure at the right
of the photo is the gravel carrier screen erected here in 1917-18
by the contractors at a cost of over $200,000. This plant was
used in the handling of thousands of tons of gravel taken from
the bank at the rear of the Basin, and freighted on scows to
the Commonwealth Pier at South Boston to be used for the concrete
work about the pier and buildings.
293 In 1895 the City of Quincy purchased eight and
one half acres of land at Point Holes, for the purpose of providing
a playground for the citizens of Ward Two.
131 View from the Ward Two playground, looking northwest
across Town River; showing Hanley’s boat yard, and beyond
which is Quincy’s Woods.
294 Photo from the same view point in which is seen
the shore near Bethel Beach on the road to Germantown. In the
plans of the proposed development of Town River, it is suggested
that this large cove be filled, and the land thus reclaimed
to be utilized for wharf property.
132 Philips Head and the power house at the mouth
of Town River. In the area of Town River here shown, there is
from thirty to forty feet of water at low tide.
129 Baker Yacht Basin from the Ward Two playground.
295 A close up view of Edwards wharf situated on
Town river at the foot of River Street. Also showing the Town
River Yacht Club house, the Quincy Lumber Co. wharf, and the
power house of the Quincy Electric Light and Power Co. situated
on Brackett’s wharf. Edwards wharf was constructed about
1850 by Messrs. C. H. & S. R. Edwards who established a
coal business here in 1858. The Quincy Marine Rly Co. was incorporated
previous to 1860, and constructed a railway and buildings on
the site at the left and beyond Edwards wharf. This wharf and
railway were for a short time a successful venture; but for
the past thirty years the wharf has been lying here without
occupancy, owing probably to the existing condition of the channel
which has been allowed to fill up until there is scarcely two
feet of water at low tide. With the recent development of Ward
Two it seems with a proper development of this site, together
with the providing of the necessary depth of water in the channel,
that this location would be an ideal site for the accommodation
of a business.
wharf now owned and occupied by the Quincy Lumber Co. was in
1819 the site of a shipyard conducted here by Mr. John Souther,
which he and his sons continued for over fifty years. This wharf
for the past fifty years has been occupied as a lumber wharf
by Mr. W.F. Lakin, Mr. Pomeroy, and later by Mr. Benjamin Johnson,
who was located here for over thirty years and during which
time rebuilt and extended the wharves until his entire [____]
was available for the wharfing of the schooners which came here
from Maine and the Provinces, loaded with lumber. The Quincy
Lumber Co. purchased the property about 1910 and are at the
present time conducting an extensive lumber business here.
127 The Town River Yacht Club- house located on
Town River at the foot of Edison Park. This club was organized
in the year Nov. 21, 1911 and elected Hon. E. Huston as Commodore
and have at the present time a membership of 100. The organization
has recently purchased land on the point adjoining the Ward
Two Play-ground, and in the summer of 1920 located here with
their clubhouse outfit.
126 Showing the above clubhouse afloat on its way
to the above location.
116 Lelois Boatyard and shop located at the foot
of River Street, on the Town River. This being the location
of the Marine Railway above described. This yard and shop were
conducted for over thirty years by Mr. Ambrose Lelois in the
building, storing, and the repair of yachts; and, during the
past ten years the shop has been occupied by Sprague and Barrows,
and later by Mr. Sprague. During the fall and winter last past
this shop was torn down.
296 Broadmeadows at the head of Town River, near
Brackett’s wharf. The Broadmeadows contain about one hundred
and twenty five acres of salt marsh and creeks, together with
about ten acres of islands of upland, which are not proving
a very valuable asset to the City. It is proposed to utilize
this tract, provided the river was dredged to depth of eight
feet of water at low tide, and to width of sixty or more feet;
and to use the material in raising the level of the meadows,
after a bulk-head has been constructed to hold the same. Thereby
making available land for the erection of manufacturing plants
and ware-houses. This location being within ten minutes walk
of City Square, and by the construction of a branch from the
main line of the NY NH & H RR , this property would increase
in value, and the revenue received by the City would be increased
enormously. Lying at the wharf at the left of the photo, is
one of the scows used by the last generation, in the freighting
of grout and ballast which was used in the construction of sea
walls and wharves along the shores of New England and the Middle
States. Thousands of tons of this material have been shipped
in the past, from this wharf, in these “square toed frigates”
as they were called. This wharf was in existence long before
the year 1700, and was known for over two hundred years as “Brackett’s
Landing”, and previous to that as “William Savil’s
Landing”. The stream in which the “square toed frigate”
above mentioned lies, was the original outlet of Town Brook;
in 1825 when the Quincy Canal was built, the opening shown at
the right of the photo, was cut through the neck of land here
shown as an island, thereby providing a direct entrance from
the Canal into Town River.
297 A continuation of the previous photo showing
Bracketts wharf and another portion of the Broad-meadows.
300 Three views of the Broadmeadow from Sea St.
looking toward Town River.
301 A view of “Pumpkin Hill” located
on the end of Brackett Street near the wharf. This hill was
leveled in the year [___].
302 Power house of the Q.E.L. & P.Co. located
on Bracketts wharf, erected in [__]
303 A view from the head of Town River, with Bracketts
wharf at the right, and the wharf of the Quincy Lumber Co. in
the center of the photo.
304 Bridge across Town River at the head of navigation,
located about two hundred feet above [____]; and as far as I
know, is the first attempt to bridge the Town River in any portion
of it. This bridge was built by Mr. Peter Fallon in 1906. This
photo was taken at low tide while the previous one shown was
taken on the full tide. We have now reached the head of navigation
in Town River; the entire length of which from its entrance
into Weymouth Fore River, up to Fallon’s Bridge is approximately
two miles in length. For a distance of one fourth of the way
up the river we have a depth from eight to ten feet of water
at low tide, the balance of the distance we have hardly three
feet. The General Court, a few years ago, appropriated the sum
of twenty five thousand dollars for the purpose of dredging
this portion of Town River, provided the City of Quincy would
establish a Public Dock at some point along the shore; but owing
to the variance in the opinions of the citizens interested in
the matter, we have been unable to decide upon any definite
location for the dock. I understand from very good authority
that the Gen. Court is favorably inclined to increase the amount
already appropriated, provided the citizens of Quincy will interest
themselves enough in the matter to make a start.
108 Entrance of the Quincy Canal into the Town River
together with wharf of the Quincy Lumber Co. and the old grist
305 A birds eye view of the Quincy Canal and the
adjacent property situated in the center of the city. Within
a few minutes walk of City Square is this valuable water-way.
As early as 1670, we find by the records that this waterway
was utilized for a board mill and the Town Landing; which were
located at the foot of the present Elm Place. In 1687 five acres
of the land adjoining were conveyed with the provision that
“Robert Twelves hath liberty of the Landing Place for
his own proper goods, during his life without molestation”;
and also the land the mill stands on, as will appear by a deed
under hand and seal. Mr. Robert Twelves was in 1672 one of the
purchasers of seventy acres of land in this vicinity; and in
the division between the purchasers the property at the Landing
containing about twelve acres was assigned to him. His dwelling
house was located on the Southeasterly corner of Washington
and Elm Street, on the site of the house now occupied by Mr.
Hardwick. After the death of Mr. Twelves the old mill was not
referred to, but the Landing Place is mentioned in all of the
conveyances of the land in this vicinity for over one hundred
and fifty years. The present Elm Street was, previous to 1850,
known and commonly called “the road to the Landing place.”
166 In 1806 Mr. Ebenezer Thayer, the owner of the
property bordering on the easterly bank of the present canal,
obtained an Act of Legislature authorizing him to build a dam
across Town River, so called, for the purpose of erecting a
mill of mills in Quincy. This dam and mill were constructed
and have been maintained for over one hundred years, and are
now owned and occupied by the Quincy Lumber Co. In 1825 Mr.
William Wood and others obtained from the Gen.Court an Act to
incorporate the proprietors of the Quincy Canal; and the said
Corporation shall be entitled to ask and receive for their sole
benefit, of and from all vessels, boats, rafts, gondolas, etc.
passing through the locks of said Canal, fee or toll not exceeding
the following rates, viz—
every ton of stone
cents per ton
“ cord of wood
& ½ cents
|“ “ M feet of boards
||fifteen cents and other sawn lumber in proportion
|“ “ M feet of timber
one ton of timber
cents per ton
cents per M
all other articles to pay toll in proportion to the above named
rates and for every vessel carrying passengers or plying through
the locks of said Canal, shall pay six cents per ton for the
amount of tonnage she may be able to carry.
this time the locks shown at the left of the mill were constructed
with a twelve foot opening.
306 Looking up the Canal from Pond Street. The length
of Quincy Canal from its entrance into Town River to the head
at Washington Street, is a distance of nearly one half a mile,
and along this entire length is a good firm gravel bottom, admirably
suited for the construction of a dolphin wharf; and the surrounding
country is also suited for manufacturing of ware-house sites.
307 Copy of a steel engraving of the head of the
Quincy Canal taken from a bank note issued by the Quincy Stone
Bank in 1863. This photo shows the corner of Washington Street
as it looked in 1863 when the Canal property was disposed of.
At this time the wharves of the Quincy Canal Co. were utilized
in the lumber, coal and granite business, and vessels drawing
six and eight feet of water were floated at the wharves adjacent
to the present Canal Street. The wharf at the right of the photo
was in use as a lumber wharf as late as 1890. The lumber having
been rafted up the Canal. But the wash from the brook has been
allowed to reduce the width of this waterway until it is less
than one fifth of the Canal as it was dredged out.
137 View in 1908 from Canal Street looking down
the Canal toward the Gas Works. The old tow path was on the
left bank of the Canal as shown here. The site at the left of
the photo was occupied from [___] to [___] by the large polishing
mill and cutting sheds operated by Messrs. McKenzie and Patterson.
308 Another view of the old tow path.
Looking down the Canal from the foot of Bent Place.
missing] Citizens Gas Light Co. Plant in 1908.
310 The southerly bank of the Canal from DiPanifilio’s
garage, showing about ten acres of vacant land, with a street
on two sides.
311 The southerly bank of the Canal looking up from
Pond Street. These views of the property adjacent to the Canal,
in the aggregate show approximately thirty acres of unimproved
real estate, which is located within ten minutes walk of City
Hall; bordering on accepted streets and also on one of the main
waterways of the City, and it is also feasible to construct
a branch railroad to the main line of the NY NH & H RR thereby
obtaining easy transportation either by water or railroad. As
the City increases in population, and it is fair to presume
that it will, the development of the Quincy Canal, and the Town
River are sure to be subject of much study and consideration
by the business men of our City.
presenting these photos and descriptions to you this evening,
I have endeavored to show what natural advantages are possessed
by our City, and how our citizens have in the past and are at
the present time utilizing these advantages. Of course we all
know how hard it is to discern the best methods of accomplishing
good results from our endeavors, but it seems to me, when we
look into the past one hundred year, and see what has been done
with our water-front, taking into consideration the small population,
a few hundred souls, and the scarcity of money at their command,
I tell you they had some courage.