Tutoring is a wonderful opportunity to make a real and lasting difference in someone’s life and to change your own life in unexpected ways. Literacy tutors are dedicated, patient, flexible, and encouraging volunteers who create a positive learning environment where adults can thrive and learn without embarrassment.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- No previous teaching experience is required. We provide extensive training and support for our tutors and students
How to Get Started
- Attend an Information Session
- We offer at least two new Volunteer Information Sessions per semester, which will help you decide if this volunteer commitment is right for you. Check the events calendar for upcoming LVM Information Sessions.
- Attend Training.
- If you decide to become a tutor, you will be required to complete an 18-hour training course, comprised of six three-hour training sessions.
- Trainings are generally offered twice a year, in the spring and fall.
- You are expected to attend every session and actively participate in the sessions.
- You will learn about teaching techniques, materials, and lesson planning, and complete assigned reading and homework.
- Meet your Student.
- Upon successful completion of the training, you will be matched with a student.
- We ask that you make a one year commitment to the program, which includes two hours of tutoring and an hour of preparation time each week.
- Tutors and students meet once a week at a time and place convenient for both.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
Would you like to help promote adult literacy, but tutoring doesn’t seem like the best fit for your interests or schedule? There’s still a way for you to help.
Administrative volunteering is flexible and provides valuable experience working in a nonprofit organization. Volunteers can provide important assistance in fundraising, event planning, special projects, technology, student assessments, and general office support. Some volunteers share their skills by occasionally teaching or tutoring in basic math and computer skills as well.