Branch Librarian: Dorothy Cornin
(617) 376-1320

North Quincy Branch Now Open

Stop by soon to see your all-new branch library! Building improvements include a new roof, new ceilings, new windows, new ADA-accessible bathrooms, new flooring and carpeting, new light fixtures and other electrical upgrades, and an interior lift to provide full accessibility to the lower and upper levels. The expansion of the program room is still underway but is expected to be completed in spring 2022.

See the renovations up close in our North Quincy Renovations Flickr album (photos display in chronological order).

Services

  • 24/7 outdoor book return for print materials located at the front entrance
  • Public computers with Internet access and Microsoft Office
  • Laptop computers available for in-library use
  • Free WiFi
  • Black & white and color printing and copying
  • Two early literacy computers for young children
  • Early literacy activities (magnet word boards, play cubes, puzzles, blocks, and more) for kids – TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE
  • Public restrooms

Programs

Drop-in morning storytimes for young children are offered from October to December and from February to May. For more information, check the event calendar, or call 617-376-1300 x8.

Accessilbility

The North Quincy Branch has designated handicapped parking spaces in the library parking lot and automatic door openers. The building is fully accessible to users with mobility impairments and has an accessible bathroom.

History

The increase in Quincy’s population during the late 1940s and the 1950s spurred a need for expanded library services and led to the building of the North Quincy Branch. Among initial suggestions put forth for the site were a parcel in front of North Quincy High School, at the corner of East Squantum and Hancock streets, and for property owned by Joseph Grossman near Sagamore Street. In late 1961, Mayor Amelio Della Chiesa recommended the use of two lots opposite the Sacred Heart Church.

The land was taken by eminent domain in early 1962, and the contemporary design for the structure was created by Quincy architects Hanlon and Donahue. The L.C. Blake Construction Company won the building contract for $219,224. Just before the dedication, the Chairman of the Library Board of Trustees noted that the $300,000 cost of the new branch was the first instance “that the City of Quincy had spent a penny for a library building.”

Mayor Della Chiesa presided over the formal dedication of the branch on September 9, 1963. Also present were City Council President Charles Shea, Councillors John J. Quinn and George Burke, and branch librarian Louise Dinegan.