Current Size: 100%
North Quincy Branch Library
381 Hancock Street
Quincy, MA 02171
Partially accessible / Free parking / Accessible by MBTA train and bus
Branch Librarian: Catherine deVeer
|1-5 p.m.||1-9 p.m.||1-5 p.m.||1-5 p.m.||CLOSED||9 a.m.-5 p.m.||CLOSED|
The North Quincy Branch has designated handicapped parking spaces in the library parking lot and automatic door openers. The building is accessible to users with mobility impairments and has an accessible bathroom. Some areas of the building are not accessible and require staff assistance.
Catch a matinee on Wednesdays at 2 p.m. and see a variety of feature films selected with adults in mind. To find out about this week's movie, check our Calendar of Events or call 617-376-1320.
Drop-in morning storytimes for young children are offered from October to December and from February to May. For more information, check the Storytimes page, the Calendar of Events, or call 617-376-1320.
Find out about the city's busiest branch library:
The increase in Quincy's population during the late 1940s and the 1950s spurred a need for expanded library services and led to the building of the North Quincy Branch. Among initial suggestions put forth for the site were a parcel in front of North Quincy High School, at the corner of East Squantum and Hancock streets, and for property owned by Joseph Grossman near Sagamore Street. In late 1961, Mayor Amelio Della Chiesa recommended the use of two lots opposite the Sacred Heart Church.
The land was taken by eminent domain in early 1962, and the contemporary design for the structure was created by Quincy architects Hanlon and Donahue. The L.C. Blake Construction Company won the building contract for $219,224. Just before the dedication, the Chairman of the Library Board of Trustees noted that the $300,000 cost of the new branch was the first instance "that the City of Quincy had spent a penny for a library building."
Mayor Della Chiesa presided over the formal dedication of the branch on September 9, 1963. Also present were City Council President Charles Shea, Councillors John J. Quinn and George Burke, and branch librarian Louise Dinegan.